Outlook Backup allows customers to perform various operations with PST files. Typical operations include migrating mailboxes to Intermedia as well as backup and restore operations. In order to use Outlook Backup, customers must log in to HostPilot® Control Panel with account owner credentials or as a technical administrator with access to the Outlook Backup module. The Outlook Backup module is enabled for technical administrators who already have access to the MS Exchange module.
- Outlook Backup uses separate storage to keep the PST files, which are located on the FTP server and not the Exchange server.
- Customers can upload PST files and assign them to a particular mailbox.
- Customers can purchase additional disk space on the Storage Management page: HostPilot > Users & Services > Outlook Backup > Storage Management.
Note: Outlook Backup disk space is calculated once per day during night hours. If you remove a PST file, the correct disk space value will show up only by the next day. If the disk space is exceeded, you are NOT going to be charged for additional space for 5 days, which gives you opportunity to remove the unnecessary files.
Uploading/downloading PST files
To upload PST files:
- Go to HostPilot > Users & Services > Outlook Backup > Backups > press Upload Backups button.
Please note that Upload Backups button is not available on Mac machines.
- Select to Run the file, allow program to make changes to your computer.
- In the Uploader window click on Select Files to Upload button:
- On your computer, select the file and press Open button.
- The file will appear in the list of backups in Outlook Backup.
To download PST file:
- Go to HostPilot > Users & Services > Outlook Backup > Backups
- Click on the arrow in Download column next to the file you want to download.
- Select the location on your machine to download file to and click Download button.
Note: You may use FileZilla or another FTP client to download and upload multiple PST files. Read the Knowledge Base article on How do I use FileZilla to upload/download PST files? for more information. You may use our Downloader Tool to dowload multiple PST files. Read the Knowledge Base article on How Do I Use Outlook Backup Downloader Tool? for more information.
- Go to HostPilot > Users & Services > Outlook Backup > Create Backup
- Select the mailbox to backup and press Backup button.
Note: you can backup multiple mailboxes on the Create Backup page.
Managing PST files
PST files are assigned to mailboxes on the Backups page: HostPilot > Users & Services > Outlook Backup > Backups:
A PST file can be reassigned to a different mailbox. To reassign a PST file, select the box next to the file and click Reassign. Then select another mailbox in the list to assign file to, click Select.
PST files assigned to a particular mailbox can be restored to it. To do this select the box next to the file and click Restore. Restored PST files can be removed from Outlook Backup after you verify that restoration was completed with no errors. When you remove a restored PST file from Outlook Backup, it doesn't affect existing mailbox data.
Backup and restore operations can be full, or they can have limiting options such as applying the operation only to particular folders, specified date ranges, or messages with certain subjects.
PST file status
- Uploading: PST file is being uploaded and is not available for managing.
- Queued: Backup or restore operation was requested for this PST file and it was put in the queue.
- Backing Up: Backup creation for a mailbox is in process.
- Restoring: PST file is being restored to a mailbox.
- Unassigned: PST file is not associated with a mailbox.
- Available: PST file was successfully uploaded or created using the backup operation and is ready to be managed.
- Failed: Backup or restore operation with the PST file failed. Read the Knowledge Base article on Why does the restore operation with the PST file fail in Outlook Backup? for more information.